Teaching and Academic Apprenticeship
Teaching Apprenticeships are intended to provide qualified students with relevant training experience for academic and academic-related careers in teaching and research. Graduate students who are recipients of teaching and research apprenticeships must meet all registration and enrollment criteria established by the Graduate Council and the department. All appointees must also maintain satisfactory progress throughout their appointments.
In order to be eligible for an Academic Apprentice Position, a student must:
- have no more than 12 quarters as a TA, and no more than 18 quarters total as a TA or GSR
- have at least a 3.0 GPA
- be enrolled in 12 units
- have less than 50% aggregated appointments
- be a U.S. citizen, a native-English speaker, or pass the Test of Oral Proficiency (TOP) in order to be a TA
- Make arrangements to take the TOP through the Office of Instructional Development and validate their score.
- File for an exception to the policies above to the Dean of the Graduate Division at least three weeks in advance of the hire date through the department SAO.
For additional information regarding Teaching Assistantships or other apprenticeship positions available in Comparative Literature, please contact the departmental SAO.