What is the minimum acceptable GRE score?

While we do not have a minimum acceptable GRE score, we highly encourage you to do as well as possible on the GRE. GRE scores are considered when applications are reviewed.

What is your department code for the GRE?

GRE Codes UCLA institution code (R4837). Comparative Literature department code (2699).

Is the TOEFL required for international students?

Yes, all international students who studied at a university where English was not the primary language of communication must take the TOEFL.

Is there a minimum acceptable TOEFL score?

Yes, UCLA Graduate Division has set the minimum acceptable TOEFL score at 87.

What is your department code for the TOEFL?

TOEFL Codes UCLA institution code (4837). Comparative Literature department code (28).

What kind of funding can I expect as a graduate student?

Funding packages will vary for each graduate student. Typically, our department offers fellowships and teaching assistant appointments, and we accept only as many students as we can fund.

When is the graduate admission application deadline?

The deadline to submit an application for graduate admission is December 1st.

When are graduate admissions decisions announced?

Graduate admissions decisions are usually rendered in February.

Do I need to know a foreign language before I apply?

Yes, you should have a high level of proficiency in at least one foreign language before applying for our graduate program. You will be expected to possess the equivalent knowledge of a student who has earned a bachelor’s degree in Comparative Literature. 

Do I need an M.A. degree first before applying for the Ph.D. program?

Students are not required to have an M.A before applying to the Ph.D. program in Comparative Literature. For students entering with an M.A. degree, the graduate advisor may agree to waive some of the normal course requirements.

How do I apply to a graduate program at UCLA?

Please visit our application instructions.

Does the department have a terminal M.A.-only program?

No, our department does not offer a terminal M.A.

What type of funding is available?

More information about funding can be found under our funding support section.

How can I contact professors/faculty in the department?

Faculty contact can be found in the People section of our website.